The Garmin Forerunner 25 is the latest in Garmin’s line of GPS-enabled watches created especially for runners. The Forerunner 25 joins the Forerunner 15 in the starter level watches Garmin produces, which means the watch employs simple techniques for tracking a runner’s progress.
Garmin Forerunner 25 Specifications and Features
|Garmin GPS Running Watch|
|Garmin Forerunner 25|
|View the model availability and current price from Amazon.com||Garmin Forerunner 25|
|Introduction Date||Garmin Forerunner 25 was announced by Garmin on August 5, 2015|
|Specs & Features|
|Physical & Performance|
|Physical dimensions||Black/Violet & White/Pink: 1.41 x 1.73 x 0.55 (35.9 x 43.9 x 13.9 mm)
Black/Blue & Black/Red: 1.58 x 1.85 x 0.55 (40.2 x 47.0 x 13.9 mm)
|Display size, WxH||Black/Violet & White/Pink: 0.73 x 0.73 (18.5 x 18.5 mm)
Black/Blue & Red/Black: 0.91 x 0.91 (23 x 23 mm)
|Display resolution, WxH||128 x 128 pixels|
|Weight||Small: 31 g (1.1 oz); Large: 39 g (1.4 oz)|
|Battery life||Small: 8 weeks, watch mode; 8 hours in training mode
Large: 10 weeks, watch mode; 10 hours in training mode
|Water rating||5 ATM|
|Watch functions||Includes date and alarm|
|Maps & Memory|
|Virtual Pacer (compares current pace to target)||Yes|
|Heart rate monitor||Yes (Some versions)|
|Foot pod||Yes (optional)|
|Auto Pause® (pauses and resumes timer based on speed)||Yes|
|Auto Lap® (automatically starts a new lap)||Yes|
|Time/distance alert (triggers alarm when you reach goal)||Yes|
|Heart rate-based calorie computation||Yes|
|Calculates calories burned||Yes|
|Activity Tracking Features|
|Auto goal (learns your activity level and assigns a daily step goal)||Yes|
|Move bar (displays on device after a period of inactivity; walk for a couple of minutes to reset it)||Yes|
|Sleep monitoring (monitors total sleep and periods of movement or restful sleep)||Yes|
|Garmin Connect compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data)||Yes|
|Automatic sync (automatically transfers data to your computer)||Yes|
|Additional||BLE transfers to Garmin Connect Mobile
Time, distance, and calories alerts as well as heart rate and run/walk alerts
Activity tracking: yes
|Official Specs and Features|
|Learn more from the manufacturer site.||Read more about Garmin Forerunner 25 at garmin.com|
|Amazon Customer Reviews|
|Read all the reviews inclusive of the most helpful favorable review and the most helpful critical review (if applicable)||no review yet|
|View the model availability and current price||Garmin Forerunner 25|
Despite its basic design, the smartphone-compatible Forerunner 25 watch has several features that build on Garmin’s history of GPS running gear. Some highlights include the following:
- Smart notifications: When a runner pairs the Forerunner 25 with an Android or Apple smartphone, the watch provides call and text alerts.
- Live tracking: Another smartphone pairing feature, Live Tracking sends a runner’s position to friends, family and coaches to help them track a runner’s progress from anywhere across the globe.
- Activity tracking: Even when a user is not running, the watch tracks walking steps to offer an overall snapshot of daily activity.
- Heart rate monitoring compatibility: If a runner owns a separate heart rate monitor, the watch connects to it and tracks heart rate performance during a run. Some Forerunner 25 models are available with a heart rate monitor included for an additional cost.
- Foot Pod+ compatibility: As with heart rate monitoring, a runner who owns a Food Pod+ device can sync that device to the Forerunner 25 for increased tracking capabilities.
- Virtual pacer tool: Like with previous Garmin watches, the Forerunner 25 offers a training tool to help a runner maintain or better running times by setting a pace to maintain for the duration of a run. The watch then alerts the runner to deviations of more than five seconds so the runner can hold a consistent pace.
The Forerunner 25 also has standard features runners expect from Garmin products, such as easy-to-read screens, auto pausing, automatic lap tracking, customizable screens and details about personal record runs. Furthermore, runners who choose to wear their watches all the time can even keep tabs on their sleep patterns using the watch’s sleep monitoring tool.
Runners who purchase the Forerunner 25 also have access to training plans to help all levels of runners, as well as Garmin Connect. This online tracking tool allows runners to join communities of like-minded athletes, participate in motivational challenges, earn online badges and more.
The Garmin Forerunner 25 is a unisex watch that comes in four color combinations to suit a variety of runners’ personal styles. It is water resistant as well, so runners don’t have to worry about their sweat damaging their watch.
Unlike tracking running progress using only a smartphone, the Forerunner 25 offers hands-free display of current pace, duration, miles completed and, when paired with a smartphone, call and text notifications. So, runners who focus on their pace and distance often find a Garmin running watch provides superior information. Plus, using a separate watch helps conserve cell phone battery life.
The Garmin Forerunner 25 helps runners track basic information about performance.